Monday, August 20, 2018

Planting Seeds + Wheelbarrow Rides


Hello there and brightest of blessings for the new week ahead my friends.

I do hope your weekend was relaxing and enjoyed by you and yours? What did you get up to?

Saturday was pretty glum and miserable with much needed rain. Soccer was cancelled due to this so we didn't need to venture out at all and since all the shopping (miraculously) was done on Friday I didn't have to worry about going out at all, the whole weekend or for the rest of this coming week either in fact. I have weeks were I just cant get all the shopping done for the week ahead in one day, so then I catch up with the rest on the Saturday. (or send Rob with a list to do it for me πŸ˜‰ ).

Sunday, although still pretty icy, cleared and by mid morning we were able to venture outside again. In fact it even warmed for the rest of it. So much so that we got so involved with outside it almost felt that it was time for a new season of gardening. I found Rob and the younger two outside clearing what was left in the vegetable beds and prepping them for just that. I love when we get to this time of the year. It can still get pretty cold and we're usually hit with a freakish cold front that brings on in snow as close as dammit to our mountain ranges before we can even consider being in the clear for real Spring weather. But, in saying this, there are other ways we can start getting prepared. Like clearing and prepping the beds. AND then dreaming about what will be planted in them.


We have also added gardening to our homeschooling curriculum. Rob and I feel it is so very important that the kids take part in the growing of our food and of course in doing so learn to appreciate what ends up on our plates at the end of it all.


A few months back our grocery store was adding a couple of these sweet little pots with every purchase made at their store. The incentive was (of course) that depending on the amount spent that would determine how many little pots you were given. Clever πŸ˜‰ right? But, for us, as gardeners it was completely the wrong time of the year for them to be planted. So we kept them to one side for just the right time. We planted all the veggies pot this weekend and have left the edible flowers for another time. Each little pot comes with instructions and it will be up to Garren to keep them going.

He really is so excited about his project. He knows that once the plants are established he will be given his own space in one of the beds to nurture them until harvest time.


Finally we ended off our day in the garden with the inevitable wheelbarrow rides.

This was Danika's first time and in true Danika style she summoned her brothers to be there alongside her through it all.

There is so much to plan for our garden for the months ahead.
i certainly cant wait.

How are your gardens coming along?

Love Angela ❤


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Blessings Angela :)

    What a lovely project for your Children.

    So good to be able to work outside together.

    Our garden is fine and has not suffered too badly despite
    some of the weather we have had.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela, My little garden is going well, thanks. Right now I have green limes, oranges, grapefruit, and tangerines that will be ready in about seven months. I am harvesting zucchini, sunflowers, and herbs. The pumpkins look healthy and vibrant. I'm hoping that I didn't wait too long to plant them. Your garden looks lovely. Happy children are so nice to see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - you have such a variety going on in your garden. I love Sunflowers and I hope that they take this year. Thank you so much for my garden compliments. It's all in hibernation now - so, I cant wait for spring to arrive.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to meet you Angela. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, it opened up a new world for me (yours). I enjoyed reading a few of your older posts, too. It is lovely to grow produce together. I know children that are completely unaware of the origin of their food! I have been trying to guess where in the world you are by seasonal clues, your house/out-builidings and plants in your garden. Southern Hemisphere, not New Zealand or Australia. South Africa maybe?

    Our garden is looking quite autumnal, lots of seed heads and late summer flowers. Our vegetables didn't do well this year, we were away when they needed watering most.

    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Christina, Thank you for stopping by and taking a peek into our space. We are nestled on the edge of a suburb in Kwa Zulu Natal - South Africa. So your instincts were right.

      I always love how when we start heading into all things green and spring that the other side of the world starts looking cozy and autumnal. I must say although I love all the seasons - I love the warmer ones better.

      Have a lovely week ahead - and thanks again for connecting with us.

      Delete
  4. I'm all for including children in gardening, teaching them where there food comes from is so important, but more than that, it's fun for them too. Getting them started young can lead to a lifetime love of gardening. Those little pots are a great idea, I'm sure Garren will nurture them to maturity and you'll be eating well when summer comes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

We do read each and every comment left here on our small blog + know that we appreciate + feel so very blessed that you have taken the time to keep up with us through your busy day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Blogger Tribe