Tuesday, August 23, 2016

the Boy, his Cake and the Recipe.





Today we had our school cake sale and who would have thought it would have resulted in all this excitement.

This year he we decided to go with a beer box cake instead of the usual 40 plus brightly green and blue iced cupcakes or as Garren used to name them “pup cakes”. I certainly will be adding this recipe to the bake again recipe list.

Not only did it come out just right but it really was a one box everything. There really wasn’t much cleaning up once baked as the cake was baked in the foil lined beer box and then iced with chocolate butter frosting and dotted with smarties minus one that somehow ended up in my tummy (for the baby… no, really! – well, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it).

I do have the same dilemma every time I choose to do chocolate icing though. It doesn’t matter how much cocoa powder I add – I just can’t seem to get icing to look darkly decadent, you know, like the deliciously gorgeous ones you see on those beautiful photographed foodie blogs.… Do you know how I can do this? Or at least attempt it?
Garren didn’t complain at all, quite frankly he was quite smugly smitten with the whole cake.

Have you noticed that the smarties have become quite dull in colour over the years? I’m sure they used to be bright and more on the psychedelic rainbow side?







Mega Beer Box Cake Recipe  
(this recipe was sent out on the back of the cake sale reminder letter from Garren’s school)

Boil, cool & strain 500ml water, 150ml oil and 150ml cocoa and add once cooled 2 teaspoons vanilla essence.

Beat 6 extra large eggs and 3 cups of castor sugar until creamy.

Sift together 3 1/2 cups flour, 6 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and fold it into the egg mixture.

Add the boiled mixture by folding it in and not over mixing.

Line a beer box cake (shiny side out) with heavy duty tin foil and pour the mixture in,

Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 to 35 minutes.

Cool and ice.


4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of the candy companies are getting rid of chemical dyes. Which I guess is a good thing. Your cake looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smarties changed sometime ago when they stopped putting all the E colours in. Delicious looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! My darkest chocolate frostings are the ones you do on the stove top. It may have to do with melting the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having it in the beer box so you don't have to worry about getting it back! I'll have to find an American equivalent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

We do read each and every comment left here on our small blog + know that we appreciate + feel so very blessed that you have taken the time to keep up with us through your busy day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Blogger Tribe