Monday, May 16, 2016

One Pot Bread

















One Pot Bread.... It really is! Ok except for the one bowl you mix all the ingredients in, this is truly a One Pot Bread recipe. Its so super easy, with just an over night resting period, and your family is going to love it!



I couldn't think of a better first recipe to share here... And, just a word of caution, once those aromas start wafting through the home, your specials will be lining up with the same questions every time...


WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE READY?


That my friends I will answer right now, before we carry on..... literally 35 minutes from the time that dough hits that oven.


So lets get to the recipe shall we.


3 cups all purpose flour

2 level teaspoons salt

1 level teaspoon instant yeast

1 1/2 cups water

*** cast iron pot with lid ***


Right, you got all of that?


In a bowl mix in your flour, salt and yeast. Add your water and stir with a wooden spoon. It should end up looking a little shaggy. Cover with cling wrap and slid to a safe spot on your kitchen counter and leave to rest overnight.


Then in the morning.... have a peek at your bowl and you should see that your dough has risen, almost doubled in size, and that there are tiny little bubbles everywhere. When you remove the cling wrap you can smell that yeast - right? Heavenly!


Switch your oven on and preheat it to 230 Degrees Celsius.


While your oven is getting all blistering hot turn the dough out on to a well floured surface and coat hands liberally with flour...I mean it - your really dont want to not coat them, it gets all messy and sticky... then tuck and turn the dough until it forms a ball. Cover the ball with cling wrap and allow it to rest for a bit.


Once the oven has hit that 230 Degree mark place your cast iron pot in for 30 minutes.


This is when you can go and pick a couple of herbs from the herb patch, check on the kids who have now started swinging dangerously from the new "swing" (which has been re-purposed from the jumpaleen) and this makes the dogs bark frantically on and on an on.... and on.. yell a little - then moan at Nugget our rooster as he tries to get amorous with the poor weathered looking egg laying, very broody girls AGAIN. And then... slowly meander my way back to the kitchen. That takes about half an hour.


Now, remove the very very hot pot and with floured hands carefully pop the dough in to it. Cut an X on the top with a sharp knife. Or in my case my sharp knife was in the dishwasher so I used my kitchen scissors. Cover with the lid and pop it all back into the oven for 25 minutes.

When the timer goes off, remove the lid, and bake for another 10 minutes.


Once done, turn out onto a bread board to cool... or as it is in my home... turn out onto bread board hand over bread knife and butter and allow the scavengers to consume!


There are times though, where I am left a slice to enjoy with an egg from the coop, Cherry Tomatoes off the vines and Basil from the herb patch.



4 comments:

  1. oh I need to make this! thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing the cast iron skillet with a lid. I have the skillet just no lid. I could improvise though! This sounds super easy! I might have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] have the patience for that these days. The longest time I’ve spent waiting for a bread is for my One Pot Bread but that really doesn’t have much leg umm arm work. Beer Bread. REALLY… what more do I […]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.

We do read each and every comment left here on our small blog + know that we appreciate + feel so very blessed that you have taken the time to keep up with us through your busy day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Blogger Tribe